Fitness, Hair and Health. How do they all relate? Well it depends on who you ask. As a professional cosmetologist with 20 years experience, I have spoken to thousands of women and many of them have experienced challenges with these topics at some point in their lives. However, in past years, women have become more proactive when it comes to their health. Therefore, for many, the battle between Fitness and Hair has decreased. On the other hand, many women continue to struggle with the mere thought of staying/getting fit and the effects it has on their HAIR!
It is a fact that in America it has become the norm to be overweight. With approximately 73% of Americans considered overweight speaks volumes about our lifestyles. We are so consumed with fast, convenient, and instant gratification that we have don’t have the patience to put in the time it takes to get amazing results! For instance, we can find the time to exercise but who has the time to “fuss” with their hair afterwards??? Or, what about those of us who say, “I just got my hair done” and refuses to participate in ANY cardio driven activities!
Mocha Millenium Women and I partnered to facilitate the very 1st Healthy Hair Healthy Body event! This innovative event had goals of crushing the myths about maintaining hair as you workout, maintaining a fit body while having beautiful hair, and getting women moving with a NightClub Cardio class. Women from around the Houston Metro area attended and were refreshed with a wealth of information. We will definitely have more events in the future in hopes of giving back to our community and changing lives!
To each reader, let this blog post be an encouragement to you. Here are a few tips to keeping your Hair and Body Healthy:
Healthy Hair Tips (Courtesy of Moi….Candace Walls owner of Sovereign Styles Hair Studio Houston, TX)
1. Keep hair and scalp clean! Clean hair and scalp create the healthiest atmosphere for your hair.
2. Use a great Moisturizing Shampoo and Conditioner! Design Essentials Honey Creme Super Moisturizing Detangling Shampoo and Stimulations Super Moisturizing Conditioner are great choices for active lifestyles. If you prefer natural products Design Essentials Natural has an array of moisturizing products. Order Design Essentials online.
3. Minimize the use of heat styling! Heat physically alters our hair. Overheating leads to dryness, brittleness and breakage.
4. Loose ponytails, pinnups, twists and wraps help in protecting your hair from vigorous workouts! If you choose to cover your hair during workouts be sure to use a satin or silk head tie. Your cotton counterpart may absorb sweat however, it will also absorb the natural oils and moisture from your hair.
5. Visit a Professional Stylist regularly to maintain a Healthy Hair Status!
Health and Fitness Tips: (courtesy of Dr. Teriya Richmond founder of Mocha Millennium Women)
1. Get Moving!! American Heart Association recommends 30 minutes of exercise at least 5 days a week. Walking counts!!
2. Drink water as often as possible.
3. Make healthy food choices! Try eating food in its purest form ie fruits, veggies, grains, and lean meats.
4. Manage your stress! Stress increases cortisol levels which increases your sugar levels and makes you hold on to belly fat! Pray, Meditate, do Yoga or even exercise to help relieve stress!
5. See your Doctor for routine physicals!!
We want to continue to destroy the myths surrounding exercising and hair care! Why not strive to have the best of BOTH worlds! #HealthyHairHealthyBody
Stay tuned for another PHENOMENAL Healthy Hair Healthy Body Event November 2014!!
Good Luck in reaching all of your goals toward a Healthy Hair and Healthy Body!
For more information about upcoming events, sponsorships, or vendor opportunities please email firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com (HHHB in subject line).